Saturday 19 July 2014

Expanding my gaming genres


So if you have come here from my YouTube channel you might know that I have just finished a series on a game called Outlast. To be perfectly honest I'v never played a "Run and Hide" before, to be really honest the only gaming genres Iv been interested in the past have been role-players eg; Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Fallout 3. and some FPS like Halo, Quake, GTA. I really love the Universe you get with a fantasy gaming and the problem with that when I'm looking for a new game to play is that I find my self too invested in the universes I'm already in (especially with the  elder scrolls series). One of the biggest reason I wanted to start a gaming channel on YouTube (apart from the reasons I'v spoken about in other posts previously) is that I wanted to expand my gaming knowledge, and I wanted to share the adventure with others. Which is why I went left field off the bat with Outlast. From hacking, slashing and shooting too literally the total opposite running and hiding. I found this to be a massive eye opener mainly cos at the start I didn't think I'd enjoy the fact I couldn't kill Chris Walker (aka Pig Man as I like to call him) I had to keep running and hiding and he kept becoming an recurring issue with my progress through the game. But what I felt when he (spoilers!!) was beaten to death by a ghostly entity and then exploded from the inside out in front of my very eyes was overwhelmingly satisfying! The game on a hole was an interesting learning curve for me as far as trusting game developers to engage and satisfy my love for fantasy gaming. 

I got told about Outlast by a friend at Uni and I wasn't convinced for a second that I was going to enjoy it. But I checked out the previews got the ratings even watched some game play on YouTube and after doing the research I decided that "yeah I probably would enjoy playing this game" and lets face I have wasted $17.50 on worse things lol. But Outlast was no waste of money.

As apart of my self betterment with my gaming experience goes I have decided to hit as many different genres as possible with my channel, vowing of coarse to not upload heaps of random/boring FPS, or sniper shot footage (not that there is anything wrong with that lol).
My next YouTube project is the 2013 release of Tomb Raider, Now I loved Tomb Raider as a kid I played the first two but was pulled into a more social gaming seen when I got my first Xbox! so I was really interested to see how the developers of the new Tomb Raider have bought it back to life. So far I'm loving it! Without giving too much away again its a totally different gaming platform to what I'm used to and I'm really glad that I broke free from my comfort zone.

My advise to anyone out there who feels like they can empathize with my feeling of being stuck in a gaming rut, 

-1: Pick a game:
Don't try and compare it to stuff you'v played in the past just pick something totally new a different. If your having trouble with this take to social media (Facebook status: "Anyone know of some cool games I should check out?" See what happens.

-2: Do your research!
When you have picked the game do some research, look for reviews or a lets play series and dip your toe in the water first. With the price of some tittles these days there's nothing worse then spending all that money and getting a crappy game with crap in game graphics and no story line! not to mention this will probably just drive you further in to you "gaming rut".

-3: Don't be afraid to try something new:
Pick a genre you have never done before! even if its just because the female protagonist has a nice ass! that's as good excuse as any and you might be surprised with what you find. I mean if you only expectation of the game is staring at Lara Croft's booty all day and you find your self enjoying the game as well the WINNING!!

And finely don't force it, if the game you have picked just isn't for you then that's fine, lend it to a friend, sell it back to a Game Traders or something and try again!

I hope my words have inspired you to take the plunge into a new world of exploration remember a game is an adventure not a destination.

Happy gaming!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment